I have decided to get a little bit of "hands-on" experience with Microsoft's Windows Phone 7 Developers Tools.
I decided I will create a series of posts about my experience as a developer for Windows Phone 7. I still don't know what my goals are or what kind of app will I build eventually, but I figured it would be an interesting experience for me and my readers, here, a the mobile spoon.
First thing's first: Installing the Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools.
I downloaded it from here: Download Windows Phone 7 Developer Tools, and tried to install…. BOOK, got this ugly message box:
Visual Studio setup cannot run in compatibility mode. For more information see the 'Installing' section in the
Visual Studio Readme at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=143397.
Great… Now what?
No worries, boys and girls, I found a solution… (Funny how Google actually helped me solve my Microsoft problem…) here it is:
You need to remove the compatibility mode from the file you are trying to install. It is done by right clicking the file, selecting "properties" and going to the "compatibility" tab and un-checking the compatibility checkbox.
Now my installation is running, and I cannot wait to open my first Windows Phone 7 Project… I bet it will look like this…
But before that, here are some more links to useful resources – in case you are interested:
Getting Started with Silverlight Development on Windows Phone
Excited about developing Windows Phone 7 applications and want to get started? Head over to the Windows Phone Developer portal to get information on:
- Windows Phone Developer portal
- Windows Phone Developer Tools
- Download the Windows Phone 7 Toolkit
- Developer Reference Documentation
- Developer guides for platform overview and UI guidelines
- Code samples for using gestures, accelerometer, application bars
- Channel 9 for hands-on-labs and other tutorials
- Dedicated developer support forum for Silverlight for Windows Phone
- Watch some getting started videos on the Silverlight community site
Stay tuned with more details real soon.