Rumors has it that it will be announced sometimes between now and Christmas.
What to expect in this new version? here's a partial, unconfirmed list:
- Better support for the bigger screen. the launch of Samsung Tab made a lot of criticism about the lack of tablet support from Google side. the next version should address that as well as Google TV resolution support.
- Back in May, at the Google I/O 2010, a new kind of music service was announced - a kind that would directly be an iTunes competitor. it's about syncing your music using the Android Market (no cables needed). actually we were expecting that to be on Froyo but there was no sign for that...
- Gaming - we already heard that Google is collaborating with Sony. Gingerbread will enhance the 3D engine to support a higher level of gaming.
- Also in Google I/O, Google announced a new video format for the web, the WebM. so Gingerbread should have support for playing that.
- Various UI improvements (as expected on every new release). it was also mentioned a better copy & paste experience.
Once this new version is announced, Nexus One users can expect an immediate download options. Other's modification users (Motorola blur, HTC Sense, etc.) need to wait until Google will release the version for the AOSP (Android Open Source Project) until their providers will be able to start develop the new mod.