Analyst Chris Whitmore reviewed notebook sales in recent years, up to the second quarter of 2011, and found that, when included as part of the notebooks market, the iPad has boosted Apple beyond all laptop makers.
In fact, while all the others are clearly in a negative direction, Apple has climbed straight to the top. Not sure the competition is fair though, as Apple has both notebooks and tablets, and most of the others are releasing their prime models just these days…
Nevertheless, according to a new IHS iSuppli Consumer Platforms Report, it’s only a matter of time before web-enabled consumer electronics devices sales surpass those of personal computers.
Some data predictions from iSuppli to put this in perspective:
- Connected consumer electronics sells will top 503.6 million units in 2013, up from 161 million in 2010.
- PC shipments during the same period will amount to 253.3 million, up from 222.3 million.
- By 2015, connected consumer devices will top sales of three-quarters of a billion units compared to PC shipments of 479.1 million.
- Media tablets will show the most growth among connected devices, surpassing game consoles as the top seller in 2011.
- More than 300 million tablets will ship by 2015, 15 times greater than in 2010, for a five-year compound annual growth rate of 73.3 percent.
You can read more about it in here: Shipments of Internet-Enabled Consumer Devices to Exceed PCs in 2013.