When I was around my twenties I worked as a gym trainer.
It took me a couple of years to understand that building other people's bodies will drive me insane pretty quickly (boring) so I sat down to build software instead.
I still visit the gym 3-4 times a week. It's a great place to arrange your thoughts, do some emails, and learn about new shoes. It's great.
Every once in a while I do some exercises too, and today I would like to recommend on a nice little free app called: GymGoal Lite for iPhone.
The app does not have the greatest UI, but it's working, and it has a lot of useful features:
• Editable list of 280 exercises, with pictures and instructions.
• Animations (animations are stored online, but they may be cached on the device), images, step by step instructions and performance tips.
• Editable list of 52 workout routines.
• Comprehensive tracking system for strength and cardio workouts.
• Body Weight, One-rep Max, BMI, BMR, Body Fat Percentage, TDEE, Target Heart Rate calculators and progress tracking.
• Progress tables and graphs are provided for everything, from workout logs to calculators.
• Ability to send workout logs to your email.
• Ability to back up your data to www.gymgoal.com (free) to prevent any data loss.
Not bad if you are working out and wants to improve your knowledge keep track of your progress.
And a personal tip for new trainees: don't waste all of your excitement and energy too fast – save some strength and motivation to the hard part: persistence is much more important than a few peaks when it comes to training your bodies…